Sunday, November 1, 2009

Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and Emma. Quite Possibly Heaven?

IT'S been a long time since I sat down and coded anything, and I must admit the thought doesn't thrill me. Easy-to-customise layouts were made for lazy people like me. I've been trying to fix up the sidebar on the right, but it's persistent in wanting to hang round down the bottom of the page, for some unknown reason. Anyone who knows how I can get this pesky critter back where he belongs...


please let me know!! :D I've been trying to add a nice little widget, too, from Goodreads(my current obsession) Unfortunately it's being less than co operative so we're getting nowhere fast. It was a very pretty widget, too.


Next things next: I've been reading Jane Eyre for the past few hours:





This is one thing I've been meaning to do for a long time, and I'm glad I finally got to it. I was worried I wouldn't particularly like it, but I needn't have feared. I'm about ten chapters in and I'm already hooked. I've been wondering whether people in the 19th century, when the book was published, actually believed it could be written by a man. Did they really believe it? That a man could have such thorough knowledge of female schools, and the female psyche for that matter. Considering many women (eg Mary Shelley), when they chose to write, wrote with male narrators, I find it strange that people wouldn't suspect. Certainly all the male writers of the 19th century wrote using male narrators. (Not all all, I admit; Charles Dickens in Bleak House is one example)


And then there's Wuthering Heights on tonight. I was rather disappointed to learn it's not, in fact, a BBC production.



Still, it's fairly well-made, and I'm looking forward to watching the second part tonight.


I am comforted in this, however, with the knowledge that while Wuthering Heights is not BBC, I will hopefully soon have something to comfort me in he midst of painful exams and end of year Christmas madness. And it is this: a 4-part BBC series of Emma. I think I've just died and gone to Austen heaven. It's the place all good Austenites go to die.







Unfortunately, there's no hint as to when it'll be screening in Australia, and this has put me out. It could be as late as next year, though it's already finished in the UK. But if the US is getting it soon, it means we still have a while to wait down here.





Ah, well. For now merely the thought shall sustain me. The reviews look very good so far, and the actress playing Emma was one of my favourite actresses for a while when I was about 13 or 14. So I'm greatly looking forward to this, and combing the ABC website when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment