Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It's Been A While, Hasn't It?

SO, it's been some time since I posted anything. Partly that's because I've had a busy month; what with schoolwork and holidays and work. In fact, I've barely picked up a pen to write for more than five weeks. As a result, I've got quite a few ideas running wild and unchecked in my brain.

But first things first: as you may have noticed, I've posted the last few instalments of The Manor on the Moor. It's now well past Halloween so there's absolutely no excuse for it sitting idly on my computer.

Looking over it after a month or more, I found a lot of little errors, as you inevitably do.

I also realised I really don't like Notingham. I asked myself how this had come to happen; perhaps it was partly because he was initially just a character in a 500-word short story for a Halloween competition. But I realised as I refreshed my memory that halfway through the writing I'd created a character I didn't like; and so from that point on I decided to deliberately make him unpleasant, partly as an example of eighteenth century male ego and partly to cover up my own weak writing boo-boo.

Though preferably I'd like to write about characters that I like - but then sometimes I believe a writer needs to be objective, and to treat their characters with caution. Are they doing the right thing? What am I saying, through this character, to the people who read my story?

But I'm glad that the end of The Manor on the Moor is finally out there, for the simple fact that this is the first time in about three years that I've finished a story. So hooray for me!

In other news: I am loving the ABC right now, because this weekend is the beginning of a two-part Oliver Twist miniseries (yay!) which looks very exciting. Life is lookin' good.

No comments:

Post a Comment