Monday, February 22, 2010

The Right Place to Write?

I've been doing a little bit of catch-up blog reading before university starts again, and YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday for this week (or rather, last week, as it turns out...) asks where your favourite place to write is. Now, I'm going to be cliched and say that I need to write somewhere quiet. Since I do most of my writing on the computer nowadays, it's often at my desk. Wherever I end up, it has to be a very quiet, private place. I can't work with distractions all around me (and in my house distractions are a way of life!) so my room is the obvious choice. I tend to write in bed, especially when it's down on paper. But I actually find this incredibly uncomfortable.

Ideally, I'd love a hammock or a comfy sunlounge somewhere. I like being out in the daylight and feeling the breeze around me; it makes me feel a little more connected to the world around me when I'm in my hermit-like writing mode.
 Basically my only real issue is silence and comfort. I'm the sort of person who hates sitting in a straight-backed chair. I always end up sitting on my legs, or sprawled over the sofa. Possibly I don't have a spine, but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if I'd missed something like that. Once I get a new laptop I'm hoping to be able to move about with it a little more, test out different areas and where the best place is.

And speaking of writing, I've been doing quite a bit of it thanks to Project 365, though a lot of it is on paper which means I really can't be bothered to go and type it up. But rest assured I'm making progress, though I've decided I need to work more exclusively on one thing to avoid becoming lost in fifteen different ideas. My aim is to finish at least one WIP by the end of the year. This juggling of thirteen or so WIPs is getting a little ridiculous.

I also entered myself in the 400 followers giveaway at In Which a Girl Reads. Head over here to win some awesome books!

No comments:

Post a Comment